Volvo (STO:VOLVA) (STO:VOLVB) has received an order for 11 electric hybrid buses and 2 electric bus chargers to the city of Namur in Belgium. The chargers will be supplied by ABB. This is the largest order to date for the company’s electric bus system.
Many cities are introducing electric bus systems as a means to solve the problems of poor air quality and noise. Namur in southern Belgium, with public transport authority and operator TEC, is now buying 11 electric hybrids and 2 automated bus chargers from Volvo. ABB will supply the chargers.
TEC buys the bus system as a turn-key solution. This means that Volvo takes full responsibility for vehicle servicing, battery maintenance as well as maintenance of the standard-based charging stations for a fixed monthly cost. Traffic start is planned towards the end of 2016.
“Electric bus systems is a cost-efficient solutions for cities to reduce the problems of poor air quality and noise. Together with ABB, Volvo has a complete and competitive offer for cities around the world that want to switch to a sustainable public transport system,” said Håkan Agnevall, President Volvo Buses.
“Every year the TEC Group transport more than 250 million passengers. Our social responsibility lies in developing transport solutions that are sustainable. This is done especially by improving the energy performance of our vehicle fleet. The Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid meets our ambition. Thanks to its silent operation the quality of life for the citizens of Namur will be improved”, said Vincent Peremans, CEO TEC Group.
Quiet and emission-free
Volvo’s 7900 Electric Hybrid operate quietly and free of emissions on renewable electricity for approximately seven kilometers. The batteries are fast-charged in just a few minutes at the end stops and also by the energy generated whenever the vehicle brakes. As a complement, the buses also have a small diesel engine, which increases reach and flexibility.
Compared with conventional buses, the electric hybrids provide considerable environmental gains. The total energy consumption is 60 1) percent lower.
Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid
Can be powered by electricity for up to 70 % of operating time.
· Quiet and exhaust-free when running on electricity.
· 60 % lower energy consumption than a corresponding diesel bus.
· 75–90 % lower emissions of carbon dioxide1 compared with a conventional diesel bus, depending on the fuel used.
· Equipped with an electric motor, batteries and a small diesel engine
· The batteries are recharged at the end terminals in a few minutes.
1)Estimated value on a city bus route of 10 kilometres, compared to a diesel bus Euro 6.
ABB bus chargers
· Easy to integrate into existing bus lines (inverted pantograph enables use of a low-cost and low weight interface on roof of the bus)
· Modular design offering charging power of 150 kW, 300 kW or 450 kW
· ABB’s proven suite of connectivity features enables maximum availability, high uptime and fast service response.
· Based on IEC 61851-23, the international standard for fast charging of electric vehicles ensuring the appropriate safety systems are in place, the electrical design is in accordance with regulations, and the systems architecture and working principle are supported by wider automotive community in future.
Volvo Buses is one of the world’s leading bus manufacturers, with a strong focus on vehicles and systems for long-term sustainable public transport. The product range includes complete transport solutions, city buses, intercity buses and tourist coaches, as well as services in financing, vehicle servicing, vehicle diagnostics and traffic information. Volvo Buses is part of Volvo Group, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses and construction machines as well as drive systems for marine and industrial applications. Volvo Group also provides complete financing solutions. For more information visit http://www.volvobuses.com
This information was brought to you by Cision http://news.cision.com
Helena Lind, Manager Media Relations
Tel: +46 (0) 31 323 62 57
Source : businesswire.com