Final retail registrations for 2014 are now available and once again four Honda models led the industry in retail registrations in their respective segments, according to Honda analysis of data from IHS Automotive. Repeating their 2013 performances, the Accord, Civic, CR-V and Odyssey were the top choice of individual U.S. car buyers in their respective segments in 20145. Based on retail registrations, Honda has three of the top six best-selling passenger vehicles in America. Honda's registrations to individual buyers as a percentage of total registrations is 98 percent6, the highest of any mainstream brand in the U.S.
"Retail sales are simply a better yardstick for measuring real-world product appeal and Honda's focus on retail sales translates to higher resale value and lower lifetime ownership costs for our customers," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "We're looking to build on our retail sales momentum in the light truck category in the year ahead with innovative new products including the new Honda HR-V crossover and redesigned Pilot SUV."
Accord, CR-V, and Civic led retail registrations in the three highest volume passenger vehicle segments in the U.S. Excluding full-size pickup trucks, Accord, CR-V and Civic rank first, third, and fourth, respectively in retail registrations in 2014.
For the second year in a row, Accord, CR-V, and Civic – Honda's top three selling models – accounted for more than one million in registrations in 2014. Each of these three models achieved retail registrations of more than 300,000 units. Overall, the Honda brand set an all-time annual sales record with sales of 1.37 million units.
Honda brand highlights, based on Honda's analysis of IHS Automotive new-vehicle registration data for 2014, include:
- Excluding full-size pickups, the Accord, CR-V and Civic continue to hold three of the top four slots – first, third and fourth, respectively – in retail registrations in 2014.
- With retail registrations of 382,535 units in 2014, the Accord easily outpaced the competition as the most popular car in America for the second straight year.
- CR-V is America's retail and outright best-selling SUV of 2014, and the best-selling SUV of the past decade. On a retail basis, CR-V registrations rose 10.5 percent to 331,706 units compared to 2013, giving CR-V a more than 80,000-unit lead over the #2 selling vehicle in the segment in 2014.
- Civic retail registrations of 317,025 units in 2014 led all compact cars, besting the nearest segment competitor by nearly 45,000 units.
- Odyssey retail registrations of 119,615 units continue to make it the top choice among retail minivan customers – at 32 percent retail segment share.
Honda offers a full line of reliable, fuel-efficient and fun-to-drive automobiles for American car buyers through approximately 1,000 independent U.S. Honda dealers. The Honda lineup includes the Accord, Crosstour, Civic, Fit, and CR-Z along with the Pilot, and CR-V sport-utility vehicles and the Odyssey minivan.
Honda has been producing automobiles in America for more than 30 years and currently operates 16 major manufacturing facilities in North America. In 2014, nearly 98 percent of all Honda brand vehicles sold in U.S. were made in North America, using domestic and globally sourced parts.